Director of Sacred Music
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Prepare and coordinate the music for weekend liturgies in collaboration with the pastor, which include three weekend Masses and special liturgies, such as penance services, Holy Day Masses, Lenten services, weddings, funerals, etc.
• Responsible for arranging, organizing, and scheduling music for all liturgical functions.
• Build, direct, and train volunteer choirs to lead the assembly in singing for 3-4 weekend Masses, and Holy Days.
• Audition and select cantors to lead music for liturgical services.
• Recruit accompanists as needed to support liturgical services.
• Prepare and ensure execution of music for weddings and meet with the bride & groom as needed.
• Prepare and ensure execution of music for funerals and meet with family to assist music selections.
• Prepare and provide music and texts for the worship aids for all liturgies.
• Maintain & organize music library of sacred/liturgical music.
• Obtain, update and record all copyrights for music used at St. Thomas the Apostle.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Bachelor of Arts/Science in church music, sacred music, or music education required.
• Understanding of and respect for Catholic liturgical principles and other teachings is required.
• Practicing Catholic who accepts all required doctrines of the Church, models fidelity to these doctrines in personal life, and is obedient to the those placed in authority over the Church.
• Experience in choral music conducting is required.
• Experience teaching vocalists/instrumentalists preferred.
• Ability to play the organ proficiently is preferred.
• Has a working knowledge of Gregorian chant and choral music, proper Mass parts in English and Latin, and of hymnody appropriate to traditional Catholic liturgy.
• Has proficiency and experience in choir and cantor training, and recruiting and managing volunteers.
• Ability to mentor and encourage musicians and singers in a parish environment.
• Proficient in the use of general office equipment and computers, including email and Google/Office products.
• Candidates for employment must pass a criminal background check and complete Safe Environment Training.
Human Resources Assistance
(208) 341-1311 phone
(208) 342-2368 fax
How to Apply
Please complete the application form linked above, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.