STAFF SINGERS: St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church
Coeur d'Alene, ID
St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church
Parish Staff Singer, Part-Time
"And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus,
giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17
PURPOSE: To provide professional and high quality vocal singing and support for parish liturgical celebrations including Saturday and Sunday Liturgies, Solemnities, Feast Days, Funeral and Nuptial Masses, Concerts and other events as assigned.
EDUCATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Ability to perform consistently at a professional level and possess a working knowledge of Roman Catholic Liturgical Celebrations. Be able to communicate well and in a friendly manner with the Pastor, Director of Sacred Music, Staff, Music Ministers, Parishioners as well as guests and visitors.
JOB PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS:
1. Provide high quality vocal performance and support as Staff Singers for liturgical celebrations within a variety of choral settings both with and without instrumental accompaniment. To be able to function as section leader, psalmist, cantor, soloist, choir member and pastoral musician for Parish Liturgies, Feast Days, Solemnities, rehearsals and liturgical events (as assigned).
2. Provide high quality vocal performance and support for Funeral and Nuptial Masses and be permitted to receive additional compensation in the form of a payroll stipend.
3. Help facilitate congregational singing through the excellent execution and prayerful rendering of a vast array of liturgical music including anthems, antiphons/psalms, sacred chant, hymnody, motets, sacred oratorios and polyphony
4. Possess excellent sight-reading skills and demonstrate exceptional musical retention as well as sensitivity to appropriate liturgical music styles.
5. Possess the ability and willingness to read both modern and square note notation being proficient in English and competent in Latin
6. Encourage the musical talents and participation of all music ministers, parishioners, instrumentalists, cantors/psalmists and any other musicians. Arrive prepared to lead “sectionals” as well as tutor volunteers.
7. Be punctual to all liturgies, rehearsals and “call times” arriving prepared with music in proper order, etc...
8. Absences are to be requested in writing to the Director in a “timely” manner for approval.
9. Staff Singers will receive compensation for 2-3 Liturgies and one rehearsal weekly.
10. The Staff Singer will receive periodic performance reviews by the Pastor and/or Director of Sacred Music
11. The Staff Singer will conduct themselves in a professional and business-like manner, treating co-workers, clergy, parishioners and others with respect. Staff Singers should conduct themselves in a moral and ethical manner in the performance of their duties.
12. The Staff Singer will familiarize themselves with the Archdiocesan Handbook.
13. The Staff Singers will dress in a professional and appropriate manner reflecting the dignity of the human person and be willing to wear a choir alb, robe and/or cassock for any and all liturgical celebrations and concerts.
STAFF SINGER POSITIONS: soprano, alto, tenor, bass positions currently available
COMPENSATION: hourly rate based upon experience and proficiency (starting at $25 per hour)
MASSES: Saturday (5:00PM), Sunday (8:00AM & 10:00AM)
CHORAL MASSES: First Sunday of month/5:00PM Mass and rehearsal prior to Mass
Repertoire: Croce, Hassler, Haydn, Mozart, Palestrina, Victoria, etc...
REHEARSALS: Wednesdays: 7:00PM – 9:00PM
Feast Days, Solemnities, Confirmation, First Eucharist,
Holy Week, Summer Months, Cantor/Psalmist duties, solo arias (sacred)
Sacred Music Concert Series (additional rehearsals/concerts: hourly rate)
Wedding Rites or Nuptial Mass (additional $125 stipend)
Funerals (additional $125 stipend)
REPERTOIRE FOR ST. THOMAS THE APOSTLE PARISH
Sacred Chant (both modern and "square note" notation
Motets for 3-6 voices
Polyphony (Mass Ordinaries & Motets): Allen, Hassler, Palestrina, Victoria, etc...
Sacred Cantatas and Oratorios (Bach, Handel, Telemann, Vivaldi)
Mass Ordinaries and Motets by Mozart, Joseph and Michael Haydn
Two Sacred Arias by Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Telemann and/or Vivaldi
One Sacred Chant from Holy Week (Latin) * Your Choice
Sight-singing (your vocal line from a Polyphonic Motet, Mass Ordinary or Anthem)
Please Contact our Director of Sacred Music, Matthew Loucks for more information
or to set-up and audition date/time.
For questions regarding human resources
(208) 350-7510 phone
(208) 342-2368 fax
Performance Evaluations (Referenced in "Parish/Schools Human Resource Manual" Chapter 13, ages 59-68)
Diocesan Pastoral Center
FAX: (208) 342-0224
1501 S. FEDERAL WAY, SUITE 400, BOISE, ID 83705